The B-Mitzvah Experience
Adulting can be a lot, and let’s face it, no one learns how to do it in a day. The years leading up to adulthood are filled with ups, downs, and core moments that shape us.
Some families guide their preteens to become “adults” in the family by completing a ritual to become a bar, bat, or b’nai mitzvah (son, daughter, or children of the commandments). We also use the all-encompassing, inclusive term “b-mitzvah” to refer to all of these variations. Becoming b-mitzvah is not just a day in the life of a teen. It is a transformative process with many steps. In Israeli culture, the year leading up to b-mitzvah is filled with different “tasks” (or Mesimot, in Hebrew) to help enrich this time period. The B-Mitzvah Experience will help you and your child navigate this path with a variety of hands-on activities connected to relevant themes such as leadership, customs and culture, resilience, independence and more.
jHUB and @akiva are excited to offer this enrichment journey that can be a standalone experience, or complement a synagogue program or other b-mitzvah experience. Throughout this journey, your child will learn together and from their peers, and discover what this liminal moment means to them.
Immerse your 6th,7th, or 8th grader in this group program to give them tools as they approach adulthood.
The group of students will meet eight times during the school year, some with and some without parents (see below). Each session will look at a different area of "adulting" through a Jewish lens and will meet in various spaces throughout Greater Cleveland.
(Students attend with Parents in blue; Students attend without Parents in green.
All events are on Saturdays-times vary based on each activity):
- October 21, 1:00-4:30 PM: Family Day Retreat @Camp Wise
- November 11, 1:00-3:00 PM: Challah Baking and Family Traditions @ Solon Rec Center
- December 9, 1:00-3:00 PM: Chanukah and Identity Exploration @Mandel Jewish Day School
- January 20, 6:00-8:00 PM*: Mindfulness, Yoga, and Havdalah @ Abide Yoga
- February 10, 1:00-3:00 PM: Sustainability and Caring for the Planet @ Upcycle Parts Shop
- March 2, 1:00-4:00 PM: Tween Fun Day of Independence @ various Cleveland locations via RTA public transportation, accompanied by staff
- April 20, 1:00-4:00 PM: Survival and Nature Connections @Survival School-Midwest Native Skills Institute
- May 11, 1:00-3:00 PM: Siyyum (Closing Program) @ Cleveland Metroparks TBD
* Please note the time for this special evening Havdalah (Shabbat closing ceremony) program. Dinner will be served.
For questions, connect with Erin Gabay